Review for Respirator Use
- Animal Research Safety
- Biological Safety
- Acute Biological Toxins
- Biohazard Project Registration
- Biohazardous Waste Disposal
- Biological Spills
- BioPath Program
- BloodBorne Pathogen Program
- Plant Research & Greenhouses
- SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19 Specimen Research
- Select Agents
- Shipping and Transport of Biological Materials
- Vaccination for Research Personnel
- Chemical and Lab Safety
- Chemical Safety
- Lab Safety
- Gator TRACS
- Hazardous Waste Management
- Radiation and Laser Safety
- Boating & Dive Safety
- Industrial Hygiene & Occupational Safety
- Indoor Environmental Quality
- Respirator Protection Policy
- Respirator Use
- Pesticide Use
- Occupational Medicine
- Risk Management Insurance & Liability
- Certificate of Coverage
- Report a Claim
- Risk Management
- Building Codes Enforcement
- Submit ADA Assessment
- Certificate of Occupancy or Completion
- Applicable Building Codes for the State of Florida and the University of Florida
- Code Permit Fee Schedule
- Permit Application Process
- Permit Instructions
- Plan Submittal Guidelines
- Temporary Structures on Campus – Including Tents
- Chartfield Form Codes Permits
- Fire Plan Review and Inspection
- Pest Management
Completion of the Review for Respirator Use form is required for all employees, students, volunteers and contractors (working under direct UF supervision) who are required, or elect, to wear respiratory protection as part of their work with the University of Florida. Care must be exercised to match the type of respirator to the potential respiratory hazard. Individuals who voluntarily wear filtering facepieces (dustmasks) are covered by this policy only as addressed in the Voluntary Use section. Additional instructions for respiratory protection may be found in UF’s Respiratory Protection Policy and other EH&S policies and programs addressing specific hazards (e.g. Asbestos, Q-Fever, or Confined Space Entry).
Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S) reviews the specific details of the requested respirator use and identifies the type of respirator to be used. The UF Occupational Medicine Clinic then reviews the medical history to determine potential health risks to the individual and whether further clinical interaction or preventative steps are necessary to protect the individual’s health. Once the medical clearance is established, EH&S provides the required initial and annual fit tests and training.
Routing of Review for Respirator Use Form
Submit Respirator Review form online.
- The supervisor completes the Employee, the Supervisor, the Respirator Use and Contaminant Information on the Review for Respirator Use form and submits it to EH&S.
EH&S reviews the description of use, identifies the type of respirator to be used and forwards the form to the OCCMED Clinic.
- The individual completes the Medical Questionnaire for Respirator Use formand forwards it to the OCCMED Clinic for review.
- The UF OCCMED Clinic reviews both the Review for Respirator Use and the health questionnaire and establishes a clearance status.
- Once cleared, the supervisor contacts EH&S at 392-1591 for a fit test and training appointment.
|Environmental Health and Safety||Ph: (352) 392-1591; Fax: (352) 392-3647|
|SHCC Occupational Medicine Clinic||Ph: (352) 294-5700; Fax: (352) 846-2003;
AN INDIVIDUAL MUST BE MEDICALLY CLEARED AND FIT TESTED BEFORE HE OR SHE USES A RESPIRATOR AT THE UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA.
In addition to the initial requirements, there are annual requirements
- For a tight-fitting respirator, annual medical clearance and fit testing is also required;
- For an N95 respirator, annual fit test is also required.