- Animal Research Safety
- Biological Safety
- Acute Biological Toxins
- Biohazard Project Registration
- Biohazardous Waste Disposal
- Biological Spills
- BioPath Program
- BloodBorne Pathogen Program
- NIH Guidelines Flowchart
- Plant Research & Greenhouses
- Recombinant & Synthetic Nucleic Acids
- Research Involving Flying Insects
- SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19 Specimen Research
- Select Agents
- Shipping and Transport of Biological Materials
- Vaccination for Research Personnel
- Chemical and Lab Safety
- First Aid Kit Info
- Chemical Safety
- Lab Safety
- Gator TRACS
- Hazardous Waste Management
- Radiation and Laser Safety
- Report Lab Closeout
- Boating & Dive Safety
- Industrial Hygiene & Occupational Safety
- 3D Printer Policy
- Indoor Environmental Quality
- Respirator Protection Policy
- Respirator Use
- Pesticide Use
- Occupational Medicine
- Risk Management Insurance & Liability
- Certificate of Coverage
- Report a Claim
- Risk Management
- Building Codes Enforcement
- Building Emergency Coordinators
- ADA Assessment
- Certificate of Occupancy or Completion
- Applicable Building Codes for the State of Florida and the University of Florida
- Code Permit Fee Schedule
- Permit Application Process
- Permit Instructions
- Plan Submittal Guidelines
- Temporary Structures on Campus – Including Tents
- Chartfield Form Codes Permits
- Fire Plan Review and Inspection
- Pest Management
Fire Equipment Services
To maintain the fire equipment, portable fire extinguishers, fire hoses, and pre-engineered fire suppression systems, owned by the University of Florida and its various extensions. To maintain this equipment in compliance with all the applicable codes and standards. To provide courteous, professional, and timely service at an above average level of quality to all our customers.
Portable Fire Extinguishers
A portable device carried or on wheels and operated by hand containing an extinguishing agent that can be expelled under pressure for the purpose of suppressing or extinguishing fire.
Portable fire extinguishers are serviced and maintained in compliance with currently adopted codes.
The required service on a portable fire extinguisher includes:
- Monthly inspection
- Annual maintenance
- Six-year maintenance (not required for CO2 types)
- Hydrostatic testing on a twelve-year interval (5 year interval for CO2 types)
To use a portable fire extinguisher, think of the acronym P.A.S.S.
- Pull the ring pin – The ring pin is attached to the handle with a plastic seal.
- Aim the fire extinguisher at the base of the fire.
- Squeeze the lever to discharge the fire extinguisher.
- Sweep the nozzle from side to side covering the entire area of the fire.
To report the use, malicious discharge, or missing/stolen fire extinguisher, please call the Fire Equipment Services office at (352)392-8008. Information required includes:
- Your name and phone number
- Type of problem or message
- Building name and number
- Room number or location (closest room number)
Your trouble call will be handled by the next working day.