Radioactive Material

  • Facility Support Services
  • Occupational Safety & Risk Management
  • Research Safety & Services
  • The use and purchase of radioactive material is regulated by the Florida Department of Health. The University of Florida maintains a license to use radioactive material with the State, and EH&S Radiation Safety controls access to licensed material.

    All radioactive material purchases must be approved by, and delivered to, the Radiation Safety Office. Packages are inspected to verify contents and to check for contamination before being delivered to the lab.


    • The Radiation Safety Office is closed during  all UF observed holidays.
    • No radioactive material packages will be received or delivered to labs during this time frame.
    • If your lab has a standing delivery during this time frame, please contact the vendor to reschedule.


    New Principal Investigators

    In order to work with radioactive material at the University of Florida, an authorization from the Radiation Control Committee is required. To request authorization, a project proposal must be submitted through the Radiation Safety Office which details:

    • The location where the radioactive material will be used and stored
    • The radionuclides which will be used
    • Procedures for the handling of the material
    • The type of waste and waste minimization practices, particularly regarding mixed waste

    Additionally, the following forms must be submitted along with the proposal:

    Further guidance may be found in the UF Radiation Control Guide.

    New Radiation Worker (authorized user)

    Anyone that would like to work with radioactive material at the University of Florida must do so under an authorized PI. If you are a new member of an authorized PI’s group, you must first take the Radiation Safety Short Course (RSSC) and submit a Statement of Training and Authorization before beginning work. Training must be renewed every two-years.

    Short Term Authorization

    If your project requires the short-term use of a radioactive material, you may be able to temporarily work under another PI’s authorization. Please contact the Radiation Safety Office to learn more.

    Authorization Amendments

    When the details of an existing authorized PI’s project changes, it is necessary to amend the authorization. Changes that require amendment include:

    • New Isotopes
    • New radioactive material use locations (buildings/rooms)

    Please notify the Radiation Safety Office to amend an existing authorization.

    Authorization Inactivation

    If an authorized PI no longer needs to use radioactive material, they may request to become inactive. Doing so eliminates the need for contamination surveys. When inactivated, all remaining radioactive material and radioactive waste must be removed from the lab. The Radiation Safety Office may store some long half-life sources upon request. Inactive PIs may be re-activated without a new proposal submission.

    Alternatively, if the PI believes they will not need to use radioactive material in the future, the authorization may be closed. Doing so will require a complete closeout survey of all authorized labs including equipment used for radiological work. Once the labs are deemed clear then all radioactive postings will be removed by Radiation Safety. In this case, a re-activation would require a new proposal submission.