Event Liability Insurance (TULIP)

Required Event Permit

All events held on the University of Florida campus must be approved through an Event Approval Request Process.  Events may range from low risk events, such as weddings to high risk events like concerts. There are two ways you can submit your event request which are outlined below:

  1. For UF student groups/organizations
    Submit an Event Permit Request to Student Activities and Involvement 
  1. For non-student groups/organizations, such as UF departments, non-affiliated individuals or organizations
    Email Tara Hollow in the Office of the VP for Business Affairs for the Event Request Form

Beyond the required event approval, your event may require event liability insurance.

Venue Reservation

  • If renting in-door space – You will need to contact the venue/facility coordinator of where the event will be held to satisfy their rental/reservation requirements. Many venue coordinators include any insurance fee for the event with the rental fee so please check with the coordinator
  • If renting out-doors space –You will need to contact the facility coordinator to reserve the space and if insurance is needed for the event, the coordinator will direct you to the insurance site. For space that does not have a coordinator, please contact the Office of the Vice President for Business Affairs.


The insurance is for tenant users typically Non-UF individuals/organizations (3rd party users) requesting the use of UF facilities and/or grounds for an event.  These users must carry event liability insurance in the amount of $1M and provide evidence of such insurance (an insurance certificate).   Additional criteria aside from Non-UF affiliated groups that need to provide evidence of insurance:  

  • Student organizations-are considered independent organizations and are not protected by UF’s liability insurances.
  • Any event that involves the serving and selling of alcohol.
  • University departments hosting non-work-related events, e.g., serving alcohol or non-employee attendees.

Note:  Vendors involved with the event, such as caterers, are also required to provide evidence of insurance separate from the facility user. Contact UF Business Services for more information on approved caterers.


  • Policy Name: Tenants’ and Users’ Liability Insurance Policy (TULIP)

Evidence of insurance can be produced with a purchase of a Tenants’ and Users’ Liability Insurance Policy (TULIP).  The TULIP was designed to provide event liability insurance to tenant users through an on-line purchasing process. 

The policy protects both the institution user and the institution against claims by third parties who may be injured or experience damage to property as a result of participating in an event. UF makes the TULIP program available through our membership with the university risk management insurance association. 

The insurance broker for the policy is Arthur J. Gallagher Risk Management Services which also administers the TULIP program. 

Premium costs will be paid by the tenant user independently or via the venue coordinator.  The costs will vary based on the following criteria:

  • Nature of the event
  • Duration of the event
  • Number of participants
  • Level of the risk of the event

For questions regarding TULIP, problems with its website or to cancel coverage, please see the contact information below.

Arthur J. Gallagher Risk Management Services, Inc.
6399 S. Fiddlers Green Circle, Suite 200
Greenwood Village, CO 80111
Office Hours:  Monday-Friday 8:30 am & 5:00 pm Mountain Time

How do I purchase TULIP coverage?

The TULIP must be purchased before the event takes place.  Allow 24 hours before the event. 

Facility users should go to the URMIA TULIP web site and click on “Quick Quote” tab to complete an online application. The form will guide you through the process and give you the option to purchase the policy. 

Please be aware that during the TULIP application you will be asked whether alcohol will be sold during the event.  If yes, then you will need to purchase additional Liquor Liability.

Upon completion of the transaction, you will receive via e-mail a copy of the binder of coverage confirming your transaction.


Call the Toll-Free phone number: 800-333-3231