• Facility Support Services
  • Occupational Safety & Risk Management
  • Research Safety & Services
  • Overview
    Employees and volunteers of the University are insured to operate state vehicles while acting in the course and scope of their employment. If a UF employee or volunteer negligently operates an automobile and causes personal injury or property damage, the State Risk Management Trust Fund provides liability coverage. The Fund is administered by the Florida Department of Financial Services, Division of Risk Management.
    Coverage Details
    Policy Number: AL-0171
    Named Insured: University of Florida
    Coverage dates: July 1, 2020 to July 1, 2021

    All University vehicle should carry a copy of the auto liability certificate in the vehicle. To request a certificate of coverage, please follow this link.

    Liability Coverage
    The fund provides Bodily injury and Property Damage liability insurance for the negligent acts or omissions of UF employees and volunteers while acting within the course and scope of employment. Students or others not employees are not covered drivers.

    A volunteer is any person who of his own will, provides goods or services to the named insured, with no monetary or material compensation as outlined in the university regulation. A Record of Volunteer Service should be completed prior to operating the vehicle.

    Students are NOT volunteers for any activities for which they are receiving credit, fulfilling a degree requirement or part of their course syllabus. Students who are not in an employee or volunteer status are not covered by the University’s insurance and are strictly prohibited from operating a state vehicle.

    Physical Damage Coverage
    The Fund does not provide physical damage coverage (comprehensive or collision). The Department assigned to operate the vehicle is responsible for the cost of repairs when the employee is at fault for the accident or not within the course and scope of employment. If the other party involved in the accident is at fault, damages can be subrogated against the other party by the department that sustained the damages. When an accident involves two State owned vehicles, the repairs of the vehicles are handled between the Departments assigned the vehicles.

    Physical damage coverage can be purchased. See the Insurance tab for more information.

    Coverage Limits
    In accordance with Chapter 284, Part II and Section 768.28, Florida Statutes, the limits of liability (under the waiver of sovereign immunity law) for which the State may be sued, are $200,000 each person, $300,000 each occurrence.
    Use of University-owned Vehicles
    The Division of Risk Management in conjunction with the Florida Statutes requires certain items be met before operating a University-owned vehicle or vehicle while on University business. The following outlines those requirements.
    Management/Employee requirements
    • Validity of Driver’s License – It is the responsibility of the individual department, division, unit, etc. to confirm the validity of the driver’s license of the employee or volunteer. Only those with a current and valid driver’s license may operate a vehicle.
    • “Know Before You Go” document – produced by the State of Florida and intended to be kept in the glove box.
    • Vehicle Inspection – Annual vehicle inspection is mandatory for all university vehicles. Contact UF Motor Pool at 392-1131 to schedule an appointment.
    • Only employees and designated volunteers are allowed to operate the vehicle.
    Rented Vehicles
    Employees renting automobiles for business use should purchase physical damage coverage and liability insurance through the rental provider. If using a University-approved vendor, these coverages should be built into the rate. Employees are responsible for verifying this is correct before renting the vehicle. Contractual liability is excluded and significant costs could be incurred by their department if this is not verified.

    Check the rental agreement regarding who can drive the rented vehicle and where it can be operated.

    If involved in an accident with a rental vehicle, employees should contact the rental company immediately.Failure to do so may void the terms of the rental contract, including any insurance coverage provided.

    Reporting an Accident
    • Contact local law enforcement to report the accident.
    • If the accident occurs on campus, contact the University Police.
    • Required even with minor damages and no physical injuries.
    • The driver must immediately notify their supervisor of the specifics related to the accident.
    • Provide the officer with the University auto policy number.
    • Do not accept responsibility for the accident on your behalf or that of the University.
    • Obtain a copy of the Driver Exchange of Information form.

    This following documentation must be submitted within 3 days after the accident to the Insurance Coordinator:

    • The driver must complete an Automobile Accident Reporting form.
    • The supervisor must provide a written statement advising who was operating the vehicle andwhat job duties the driver was performing at the time of the accident.
    • Driver’s Exchange form.
    Claim Process
    If a university driver is at fault, the claimant may file through the University’s insurance company or file through their personal automobile insurance. If filing through the University’s insurance, the claimant can complete the Statement of Claim form and submit to the following.

    Brian McGrane

    North Tort Claims Unit
    Division of Risk Management
    200 E. Gaines Street
    Tallahassee, Florida 32399-0338
    (850) 413-4874