Florida Statute Chapter 284, Part II, requires the Division of Risk Management to provide liability insurance coverages to all State of Florida agencies through the State Risk Management Trust Fund (the “Fund”), a self-insurance fund.
General Liability Coverage
The Fund provides general liability claims coverage in accordance with the General Liability Certificate of Coverage. The Fund is liable for bodily injury and property damage to other people caused by the negligence of university employees or designated volunteers while acting within the course and scope of employment. The self-insurance coverage includes:
- Premises and Operations
- Personal Injury
- Professional Liability
The Division of Risk Management has the responsibility to investigate all liability claims filed against the university to determine the legal liability of the university and to determine damages sustained by the claimant. The State will negotiate, settle, or deny the claims based on these findings and appropriate Florida law.
Defense of litigated claims is provided by contract law firms.
In accordance with Chapter 768.28, Florida Statues, the limits of liability (under the waiver of sovereign immunity law) are $200,000 per person’s claim and $300,000 per occurrence for all claims occurring after 10/1/2011.
Reporting Incident Involving Property Damage and Bodily Injury
- If emergency, call 911 and if on campus the University Police will respond.
- If non-emergency, call 392-1191 to report incident.
- The university employee involved with the incident will contact their supervisor to report the incident and complete all state/EH&S forms.
Do not accept responsibility for the incident on your behalf or that of the University.
- General Liability Loss Report form
- Claims are filed with Division of Risk Management. If filing, the claimant will need to complete the Statement of Claim and submit to the following:
North Tort Claims Unit
Division of Risk Management
200 E. Gaines Street
Tallahassee, Florida 32399-0338
Click to Email