Are you a new lab manager and would like to learn from the experts?
Are you an experienced lab manager and would like to share your knowledge with the next generation?
If so, please join the Lab Manager Mentoring Program!
Mentorship Program for New Lab Managers
The mission of Environmental Health and Safety division is to minimize injury and illness to faculty, staff, students, and visitors, and to minimize damage to university property while establishing a culture of safety at the University of Florida.
The goal of the EH&S lab manager mentorship program is to connect less experienced lab managers with more experienced lab managers in a mentor-mentee relationship. The more experienced lab managers are those who have an in-depth knowledge of managing laboratory operations and fostering a safety culture within their areas. With the support of EH&S, this program will match lab manager mentees with a lab manager mentor from a similar lab environment and discipline, within the same department, college, or building. EH&S will also provide the participants of this program with initial training and periodic meetings.
Benefits of Participation
- Network and collaborate with colleagues in related disciplines.
- Learn how State and Federal research regulations are applied at UF.
- Understand discipline specific EH&S requirements.
- Establish a culture of safety and environment of continuous improvement within your laboratory.
View Available Mentors
Expectations of Mentors
- Be open and available to help new lab managers.
- Don’t feel you need to have an answer to every question. Guide your mentee as to where to find the answers, or reach out to EH&S. We are always here to help!
- Hold regular meetings as needed (monthly recommended).
- We ask that you commit to 1 year for the program. However, you are always welcome to continue beyond the year!
Mentors Start Here
Expectations of Mentees
- What you gain from the experience will depend upon what YOU put into it. Take advantage of the opportunity!
- Be open about what you need/expect from your mentor, and what your goals are.
- Be appreciative of your mentor who is volunteering their time and expertise.
- We ask that you commit to 1 year in the program.
Mentees Start Here
Research Services & Safety
Gator TRACS (Tool for Risk Assessment, Compliance & Safety)
LATCH (Laboratory Assessment, Training & Chemical Hygiene)
Biohazard Project Registrations
For questions pertaining to the Lab Manager Mentorship program, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (352) 392-1591.