The University insures automobile liability insurance through the State Risk Management Trust Fund, administered by the Florida Department of Financial Services, Division of Risk Management. This insurance provides protections for UF against third party bodily injury and property damage losses arising from the use of state vehicles, and personal vehicles operated within the course and scope of employment. The following provides information on the Automobile Liability insurance coverage. Please note that the actual policy will govern.
- Validity of Driver’s License – It is the responsibility of the individual department, division, unit, etc. to confirm the validity of the driver’s license of the employee or volunteer. Only those with a current and valid driver’s license may operate a vehicle. (FAC60b-1.004) (University-Owned Vehicle Usage)
- “Know Before You Go” document – produced by the State of Florida and intended to be kept in the glove box.
- Vehicle Inspection – Annual vehicle inspection is mandatory for all university vehicles.
Contact UF Motor Pool at 392-1131 to schedule an appointment.
- Employees and designated volunteers. (FAC 60b-1.004) (UF-3.0031 Volunteers)
Reporting an Accident
This procedure applies to automobile accidents involving UF-owned or rented vehicles.
- Contact local law enforcement to report the accident. If the accident occurs on campus, contact the University Police.
- The driver must notify their supervisor of the specifics related to the accident.
- Provide the officer with the University auto policy number.
- Do not accept responsibility for the accident on your behalf or that of the University.
- Obtain a copy of the Driver Exchange of Information form.
This following documentation must be submitted within 3 days after the accident to the Insurance Coordinator.
- The driver must complete an Automobile Accident Reporting form.
- The supervisor must provide a written statement advising who was operating the vehicle and
what job duties the driver was performing at the time of the accident.
- Driver’s Exchange form.
- Police Report.
- If vehicle is a rented vehicle, notify the rental company immediately.
Failure to do so may void the terms of your rental contract, including any insurance coverage provided under the contract.
If filing a claim when a university driver is at fault, the claimant may file through the university’s insurance company or file through their personal automobile insurance and their company will handle directly with the university’s company. If filing through the university’s insurance, the claimant can complete the Statement of Claim form and submit to the following.
North Tort Claims Unit
Division of Risk Management
200 E. Gaines Street
Tallahassee, Florida 32399-0338
Click to Email
- Know Before You Go Brochure (keep in car glove box)
- Automobile Accident Report (UF driver completes)
- Statement of Claim form (claimant completes)
- *Florida Statute 284
- *Florida Statute 728.68