Minors and Visitors in the Lab
- Animal Research Safety
- Biological Safety
- Acute Biological Toxins
- Biohazard Project Registration
- Biohazardous Waste Disposal
- Biological Spills
- BioPath Program
- BloodBorne Pathogen Program
- Plant Research & Greenhouses
- SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19 Specimen Research
- Select Agents
- Shipping and Transport of Biological Materials
- Vaccination for Research Personnel
- Chemical and Lab Safety
- Chemical Safety
- Lab Safety
- Gator TRACS
- Hazardous Waste Management
- Radiation and Laser Safety
- Boating & Dive Safety
- Industrial Hygiene & Occupational Safety
- Indoor Environmental Quality
- Respirator Protection Policy
- Respirator Use
- Pesticide Use
- Occupational Medicine
- Risk Management Insurance & Liability
- Certificate of Coverage
- Report a Claim
- Risk Management
- Building Codes Enforcement
- Submit ADA Assessment
- Certificate of Occupancy or Completion
- Applicable Building Codes for the State of Florida and the University of Florida
- Code Permit Fee Schedule
- Permit Application Process
- Permit Instructions
- Plan Submittal Guidelines
- Temporary Structures on Campus – Including Tents
- Chartfield Form Codes Permits
- Fire Plan Review and Inspection
- Pest Management
MINORS IN THE LAB
Always consult with UF’s Youth Compliance Services prior to engaging minors in any University activities.
Unless enrolled as a University of Florida student, minors are not allowed to work or conduct research in University of Florida laboratories, greenhouses, clinic areas, or animal facilities except as identified specifically below. In addition, minors are prohibited from operating farm machinery or state vehicles and from working in machine shops.
- Any laboratory or facility designated as BSL-3, ABSL-3 or higher for recombinant or infectious organisms.
- Any laboratory or facility where select agents or explosives are used or stored.
- Any Animal Care Services (ACS) housing or procedure area/lab/facility.
(Note that this does not apply to individual Principal Investigator animal research laboratories.)
Minors are prohibited from working with radioactive materials or radiation (X-rays) and Acute Toxins.
Minors are allowed to work or conduct research in laboratories/facilities (not listed above) if the following requirements are met in full:
- The University of Florida EH&S Policy titled Minors In Research Laboratories, Clinic Areas Or Animal Facilities has been read and understood.
- A Minors Registration Form is submitted to and approved by the University of Florida, Division of Environmental Health and Safety and the IBC, if applicable. Included in this form is The Potential Hazards Information sheet which requires a parental /guardian signature indicating he/she has read of potential risks. The Registration Form must be approved prior to initiation of the work or research.
- Hazard specific safety training is completed by the Principal Investigator/Sponsor with the minor as approved by EH&S.
- Personal protective equipment, specific to the hazard, is provided to the minor with instructions for use and disposal.
- The minor is supervised following UF’s Youth Compliance Services supervision requirements while in the facility.
- Hours of work comply with Federal Regulation 29 CFR 570.35.
- The laboratory/facility is in full compliance with all applicable University of Florida safety programs and regulations.
VISITORS IN THE LAB
More guidance on visitors in the lab is coming soon. If you have any questions, please contact the Lab Safety Program Manager.