Laboratory personnel must be aware of the potential for burns while handling hot sterilized items, and use caution when removing them from autoclaves/sterilizers.
Using gauntlets which provide wrist and forearm protection for handling hot items are examples of appropriate PPE.
Establish good work practices to prevent injuries from occurring.
- Ensure that the autoclave/sterilizer door is closed and locked prior to starting a cycle.
- Do not remove items from an autoclave until they have cooled.
- Wear a lab coat and always use heat-resistant gloves to load/unload an autoclave.
- Use forceps or other tools to remove sharp instruments or broken glass from pans and autoclaves.
- Have a cart available to transport items to/from autoclave.