Transfer of Oil or Fuel


To prevent spills into the environment, transfers of fuel or oil between vehicles, tanks, transformers, etc. must be done with equipment or a structure in place to provide spill containment.   Spill containment may be temporary, but it must be fabricated in a manner that prevents any spillage from reaching the environment. 

During the transfer process, an attendant who can terminate the transfer in the event of a spill must be present. Spill control equipment and clean up materials must be on-hand prior to commencement of the transfer process.

In the event that a spill reaches soil or water, contact EH&S’s Chemical and Radioactive Waste Disposal group immediately at (352) 392-8400 during normal operating hours; after hours, contact the University Police Department at (352) 392-1111.

Spill waste (including liquid and solid absorbent waste) must be collected and disposed of through EH&S.