Partners and Responsibilities
The OCCMED Program is managed jointly by Environmental Health & Safety (EH&S) and the Student Health Care Center (SHCC) and is structured to identify and monitor personal health conditions that may not be consistent with the safety conduct standards for University-related activities.
William Properzio, PhD, Director
Julie Ramsey, Occupational Medicine Coordinator
Melissa Crowder, Hearing Conservation and Pesticide Use Coordinator
Gary Heil, BioPath Coordinator
Sharon Judge, Bloodborne Pathogens Coordinator
Stephenie Langston, Animal Contact Coordinator
Tom Ladun, Asbestos and Respirator Coordinator
Cheryl Thacker, Research Diving Coordinator
- Manages Program central administration with policy and procedures documentation
- Establishes compliance criteria and tools.
- Disseminates Program information to University administrators and participants
- Audits for Program compliance
EH&S industrial hygienists listed below provide the following.
Melissa Crowder, CIH
Tom Ladun, CIH
- Noise level tests for individuals who work in areas of excessive noise
- Audiograms for individuals in the Hearing Conservation Program at the Institute of Food and Agriculural Science Research and Education Centers
- Pesticide use evaluation regarding participation in the Pesticide User Medical Monitoring Program
- Respirator training and fit tests for individuals in the Respiratory Protection Program on-campus as well as off-campus
Contact Information: OCCMED, 916 Newell Drive, (352) 392-1591
Guy Nicolette, MD, Director
Jackie Ayers, PhD, UF OCCMED Clinic Administrator
UF OCCMED Clinic
Ann Zaia, ARNP, OCCMED Provider
Karen Brennan, RN
- Provides health assessments to UF individuals in the Gainesville area
- Manages all UF Occupational Medicine medical records
- Provides final review of UF health assessments done outside the Gainesville
- Establishes medical protocols for on-going health assessments as well as emergencies.
Contact Information: OCCMED Clinic, 2nd floor of the Health Science Center Dental Tower, Room D2-49; (352) 294-5700.
Hearing Center at Shands UF
- Provides hearing tests to individuals in the Gainesville area required to have baseline and annual audiograms
Contact Information: 2nd floor of the Health Science Center Dental Tower, Rom D2-55; (352) 273-5555.
Off-Campus Health Care Providers
- Provide health assessments to UF individuals who work outside the Gainesville area,
many of whom are working at UF IFAS Research and Education Centers throughout the State of Florida
- Provide specialization medical evaluations for individuals referred by the SHCC
Contact Information: SHCC’s OCCMED Clinic at (352) 294-5700.
- Manages position information that triggers the need for participation in the OCCMED Program
- Coordinates personnel actions with OCCMED requirements
Contact Information: (352) 392-2477
Department representatives and supervisors
- Match OCCMED-covered job duties with their position job duties
- Comply with health assessment completion requirements
- Track individuals in Medical Monitoring Programs
- Run Department Next Exam Reports from Workforce Monitoring
Individuals Covered in OCCMED Program
- Comply with Program requirements
- Track their UF health assessment status from My Self Service