Research with non-DEA Prescription Drugs
State of Florida Requirements for Ph.D Researchers
All non-practitioners (PhD) must obtain a registration exemption number from the state for authorization to purchase and administer DEA and other prescription drugs for research or teaching purposes.
Medical practitioners (M. D., D. V. M., D. D. S.) licensed by the state may continue to acquire DEA and other prescription drugs as usual.
To obtain an exemption number, mail a signed request on University letterhead to the following.
Department of Health, Pharmacy Services
Drug Device and Cosmetic Regulation
4052 Bald Cypress Way, Bin #C-04
Tallahassee, FL 32399
Include the following detailed information.
- The conditions of the lawful research, teaching or testing
- A signed statement that the drugs will be secured, and that access will be restricted to authorized individuals
- That the prescription drugs are not for resale
- Identify the specific prescription drug(s) required for the activity
- State the quantity which will ordinarily be purchased
- State the frequency of the purchases
- State the name and state license number of suppliers of the prescription drugs
The Department of Health, Pharmacy Services may waive any or all of these specific elements due to the nature of the research, teaching or testing.
A letter and registration number will be assigned to the person that authorizes the purchase or other acquisition and possession of prescription drugs.
This registration number must be included on invoices as required by F. S. 499.0121 (6) (a).
For information on disposal of unwanted or outdated prescription drugs contact EH&S Hazardous Materials Management at 392-8400.
Contacts for More Information