Prescription and Non-Prescription Pharmaceuticals
Pharmaceutical Waste must be disposed of as Hazardous Waste
- Prescription and “over the counter,” non-prescription pharmaceutical waste generated while in use at the Student Infirmary or Veterinary Hospital should be disposed of as Hazardous Waste through EH&S.
- Prescription Pharmaceutical wastes also include solutions and formulations not in the original packaging (IV bags, etc).
- Pharmaceutical waste does NOT include Sharps or other material considered to be Medical or Bio-Hazard Waste (IV sets, syringes, needles, etc)
- Unopened pharmaceuticals should be returned for credit through a pharmaceutical reverse distributor.
- UF is not responsible for the disposal of unused personal or pet prescriptions. Personal prescriptions may be disposed of through the Alachua County Disposal of Unwanted Medicines program.