Severe Thunderstorm/Tornado Warnings
- Have a Public Alert™ certified NOAA weather radio with battery back-up to receive warnings.
- If a severe thunderstorm or tornado warning is issued for your location, move to interior areas away from windows, doors and outside walls.
- Vehicles, trailers and modular buildings may not provide good protection. Go to a nearby building.
- If outside, seek refuge in a nearby building.
- Report damages to the University of Florida Police Department (352) 392-1111.
Links to watches, warnings and advisories issued by the National Weather Service–Jacksonville:
For programming a NOAA Weather Radio for use inside Alachua County, use the following information:
- Alachua County SAME Code = 012001
- Tune to 162.475 Mhz (Channel 4 on most units)
Watch vs. Warning
- Watch means conditions are favorable for severe thunderstorm or tornado development. Be aware and monitor weather information.
- Warning means a severe thunderstorm or tornado has been sighted or indicated by radar. Take protective actions.
Source: UF Environmental Health & Safety
Version Date: 06/07/12