Fire Alarm/Building Evacuation
When the Building Fire Alarm System Sounds:
- Immediately begin to evacuate the area.
- If accessible, grab important personal items such as keys, purse, wallet and cellphone.
- If circumstances permit, secure your area by closing and locking doors if you would normally do so when leaving for the day.
- Ensure all stairwell doors in your means of egress are also closed.
- As you are evacuating, inform co-workers, students and visitors that they must evacuate immediately.
- If the corridor is filled with smoke, stay low and crawl out. If it is too much smoke or too hot return to your office. Call 911 and inform them you are still in the building, provide them floor and room number. Wait for assistance.
- Once out of the building meet in the pre-designated area.
- Your unit’s pre-designated areas should be at least 100’ from the building. The area should not block egress from the building or access to the building by emergency personnel or vehicles.
- Attempt to determine if all occupants in your area have evacuated.
- Do not stop to investigate if the alarm is real or false. Always evacuate.
- Do not use the elevator to evacuate the building.
- Do not wait to shut down your computer; however it is recommended to lock your computer if immediately accessible.
- Do not return to your work area to retrieve personal belongings.
- Do not attempt to extinguish the fire with a portable fire extinguisher unless you have been trained in its use and the fire is small.
- DO NOT RE-ENTER THE BUILDING FOR ANY REASON, until the all clear signal is given.
- As you evacuate the building it is not your responsibility to insure other occupants evacuate. Your own safety is the highest priority.
- Do not open windows or leave doors open to assist with ventilation. Firefighters will ventilate the building if necessary.
To Report a Fire
If you discover a fire in a University of Florida building:
- Pull the fire alarm and call 911.
TIP – Fire alarm pull stations are normally located near each exit. If the building is not equipped with a fire alarm system, notify other occupants as you exit the building.
- Remain calm while talking to the operator. Be prepared to answer several questions as to location, size of fire, your name, number of persons in building (if known) and any injuries. Remain on the line until the operator is finished.
Source: UF Environmental Health & Safety
Version Date: 06/07/2012